Common Data Vault Models and IAM

Knowing full well that data model templates are simply starting points for capturing common business processes, patterns can be quite valuable regardless.

I have seen many of the usual suspects for data models (for warehousing and non- warehousing applications), including customer relationship management, sales and human resources. I have not seen, however, much of identity access management (IAM).

I own a couple of books for common data models and have yet to read through them, so I simply may be on my way to discovering them within.

Meanwhile, is anyone aware of any resources I can research for IAM models? (Bonus points for DV models covering IAM…)

1 Like

Hub_User?

Does the content match up to a Business Architecture?

I think that’s because identity management tends to not be ‘home grown’. Businesses ‘understand’ that security around the systems is good, and not having to remember a load of passwords is also good. So you get single sign-on systems, and network/ account authentication, and let the system deal with it.
The identity management (who is this) is dealt with in the HR systems, and the access management (does this entity have permission to be here) is dealt with by a token in the target system. As Patrick suggests, this could be a ‘user’ hub, with links (either real or references) to ‘known systems’.

Bank of America patented an entity model for IAM (link) in 2013, it seems fairly comprehensive.

1 Like